The Unfamiliar – Upside Down
You think you flying straight but you’re not
– #1 Reason small aircraft crashes
– Flying sideways or upside down
– Death Spiral – Flying in a hard circle and the fluid in your ears goes to one side and it makes your brain think you’re level.
Pilots are taught above all else, trust your instruments!
There is (2) of each, double-check
– Can’t rely on feelings or even the horizon – trust the instruments!
– Financially – Trust the Checkbook – Budget
– People – someone messed w/family – talk the next day!
Just like Spatial Disorientation, we can develop…
– We think we are flying level, feel like doing well
– But we really aren’t
A story about how to fly straight – Daniel found an important tool,
In the third year of the reign of Jehoiakim king of Judah, Nebuchadnezzar king of Babylon came to Jerusalem and besieged it. And the Lord delivered Jehoiakim king of Judah into his hand | Daniel 1:1–2
They took captives and took all the resources and Judah’s riches
Left the land ravaged
Then the king ordered…his court officials, to bring into the king’s service some of the Israelites from the royal family and the nobility… | 1.3
But not just any would do…king said they had to be…
—young men without any physical defect, handsome, showing aptitude for every kind of learning, well informed, quick to understand, and qualified to serve in the king’s palace.
Best of the best
Not just wealthy and powerful – But the “popular” guys
Quarterback, valedictorian, road scholar Bill Gates type!
And you are chosen to be a servant
What was the plan for these young men?…
(The Chief Officer) was to teach them the language and literature of the Babylonians. They were to be trained for three years, and after that they were to enter the king’s service. | Daniel 1:3-6
Daniel, one of the royal smart, handsome guys
– So Daniel was totally upside down
– Going to teach them their ways
– Indoctrinate them in all their ways
– They wanted Daniel to find a “new level”
– Only opportunity to “Move Up”
The king assigned them a daily amount of food and wine from the king’s table. | 1.5a
I’m gonna teach and train you in our ways
– Teach you our language, our culture, our beliefs
– The more Daniel would learn the better chance of survival
This is was the test of flying by his instruments…
But Daniel resolved not to defile himself with the royal food and wine | Daniel1:8
Made up his mind ahead of time
Nothing wrong with eating meat or drinking wine
The problem was…
Meat and wine were first offered to their gods
– Eating would have been a form of worshiping the gods of the Babylonians
– I’m not going to let you defile me – I can learn
– This is was the best food in the land!
– He had made a decision he would not violate God’s commands
– Could have cost him his life
– Daniel stood fast in the midst of great temptation and pressure
– Daniel lived on the instruments, not on sight or emotion
If I’m convinced, I have courage!
– Trusting the gauges – Trusting God
If I seek Comfort I will Compromise
So many things that come at us
– Teaching us contrary to what God want’s for us
– You want something you can depend on and trust
Therefore, my beloved brethren, be steadfast, immovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, knowing that your labor is not in vain in the Lord | 1 Corinthians 15.58
Are you upside down now?
If you learn to go through life walking by the Truth of God and not feelings.
– you become convinced – and…
► If I’m convinced, I have courage!
► If I seek Comfort I will Compromise
Just like JFK Jr – Didn’t learn to fly by his instruments but relied on his feelings and sight, it betrayed him and it cost him and his family
Not trying to sound morbid, just want to challenge you to consider
It’s not “Do you feel upside down” but are you upside down?
You will have to consult your gauges