What is the final authority for a game of Scrabble – Dictionary
You have to have a rule book
Agreeing on the rules – Final Authority
Those married – Do you have rules for your marriage?
- I hope so, becasue rules are a MUST!
- Must be MUTUALLY agreed upon
- Give fair Expectations –
Maybe you’ve lost your way a bit in your relationship…
2 Kings 22
- King named Josiah
- He was a good king that desired to do what was right
- During this time there were repairs being done to the Temple
- In all this the High Priest Hilkiah found a copy of the Law
- It was reported to the King and the book was read for the King
- When he heard it, he tore his clothes and cried out to God
►The Lord answered his prayer…
2 Kings 22.16-20
“I am going to punish Jerusalem and all its people, as written in the book that the king has read. They have rejected me and have offered sacrifices to other gods, and so have stirred up my anger by all they have done. My anger is aroused against Jerusalem, and it will not die down.
As for the king himself, this is what I, the LORD God of Israel, say: You listened to what is written in the book, and you repented and humbled yourself before me…I have heard your prayer, and the punishment which I am going to bring on Jerusalem will not come until after your death. I will let you die in peace.”
- There was a great judgement brewing
- Destruction and loss on the horizon
- Understanding the Word of God saved them from destruction
20►Some real rules
1- Never go to bed angry
2- Never put one another down in the company of others
3- Always act with kindness and gentleness
4- Never be alone with someone of the opposite sex
5- Never allow kids to come between us
6- Never argue in front of the children
7- Don’t bring up the past
8-Seek to understand then to be understood
9- Peace and Passion
10- Wife as my priority
► Another reason rules are important we know there is cost
The Word is used as weapon against the Enemy
- Never used as a weapon against your spouse
- When you read the Word it should always be read with the mind
- How can I make this happen, not…
- How can I get him/her to to do it!
Do not withhold good from those to whom it is due,
when it is in your power to act.
- Do all the good you can for your spouse
May your fountain be blessed,
and may you rejoice in the wife of your youth.
…may her breasts satisfy you always,
may you ever be intoxicated with her love.
- Every wife needs to think
- How can I make my man drunk on my love today!
A wife of noble character is her husband’s crown,
but a disgraceful wife is like decay in his bones.
The wise woman builds her house,
but with her own hands the foolish one tears hers down.
A gentle answer turns away wrath,
but a harsh word stirs up anger.
A hot-tempered person stirs up conflict,
but the one who is patient calms a quarrel.
Pleasant words are like a honeycomb,
Sweetness to the soul and health to the bones.
- Having a peaceful marriage is great for you health
He who is slow to anger is better than the mighty,
And he who rules his spirit than he who takes a city.
Better is a dry morsel with quietness,
Than a house full of feasting with strife.
What is desired in a man is kindness…
Many a man proclaims his own steadfast love, but a faithful man who can find?
A quarrelsome wife is like the dripping
of a leaky roof in a rainstorm;
restraining her is like restraining the wind
or grasping oil with the hand.
A wife of noble character who can find?
She is worth far more than rubies.
Her husband has full confidence in her
and lacks nothing of value.
She brings him good, not harm,
all the days of her life.
This is the challenge…
Just like Josiah the king – Rediscover the word
- Just like Scrabble, the final authority is the book – Dictionary
- In marriage the final authority is the book – Bible
- How can I make this happen