Welcome to Cornerstone Online!
- We are a community of people experiencing God and connecting with one another like never before in history. Please introduce yourself in the chat and let us know where you are joining in from!
- Connect with us! If today is your first time joining us or if you have never connected before, you are a VIP! Just click HERE!
- Follow us on Facebook.
Poured Out | What Goes In Is What Goes Out
Leaving the Gas cap off on the lawnmower
- Rainwater getting into the tank
Water and Gas do not mix.
- It will ruin the engine
- Not run well
Like an engine, what we allow in is very important
What do I mean by “WHAT WE ALLOW IN?”
- LEAD TO WHAT WE BELIEVE
What this means is:
WE ARE ALL BEING DISCIPLINED BY SOMETHING
Discipleship: The condition or situation of being a disciple, a follower, or a student of some philosophy
We are all being disciples by something
- From what we see
- What we hear
Why am I saying all this?
This series has been about Pouring our Lives out for the Gospel of Jesus
- Like any container, we can only pour out what has been put in
To say it another way
What Goes In Is what Comes Out
Healthy things in, healthy stuff out
Garbage in, garbage out
- Physically, mentally and spiritually
So we are all POURING OUT something
- We are pouring what we have been putting in
Stress in — Stress out
Anger in — Anger Out
Bitterness in — Bitterness out
Fear in — Fear out
We have been talking through Paul’s letter to Timothy
- A young church leader
- The family converted by Paul
- Paul is in prison
- Near the end of his life
As we look at the end of this letter, Paul begins to give Timothy some tough advice
2 Timothy 3
1 But know this: Hard times will come in the last days. 2 For people will be lovers of self, lovers of money, boastful, proud, demeaning, disobedient to parents, ungrateful, unholy, 3 unloving, irreconcilable, slanderers, without self-control, brutal, without love for what is good, 4 traitors, reckless, conceited, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God, 5 holding to the form of godliness but denying its power. Avoid these people.
Couple of things to know here
- Paul is speaking of the culture at large, but ALSO Christians “
Holding to the form of Godliness…”
- “Last Days” may sound like the “END OF TIME” but is the entire time between the Resurrection and the 2 Coming of Jesus
- The most important thing we should pick up on is the first thing Paul Said: PEOPLE WILL BE LOVERS OF SELF
When the center of gravity in an individual shifts from God to self, a multitude of sins can spring up.
If you are only POURING YOURSELF INTO YOUR LIFE you will do WHATEVER makes you happy WHENEVER you have the opportunity
This is exactly where culture wants to live
- Do what makes YOU happy
- Do what makes YOU feel good
- YOU are who YOU say YOU are
- It’s YOUR life, do what you want
This is a strong warning for all of us, not just people who don’t show up to church
We often PICK things that we think are OK for OURSELVES but point out what OTHERS are doing wrong
- I listen to Christian music but I complain about everything
- I pay my tithes but I’m unfaithful emotionally of physically to my spouse
- I pray but I talk behind people’s back all the time
- Those are all FORMS OF GODLINESS but Not true Godliness
The Gospel is, WE ARE ALL THOSE PEOPLE
- We are all sinners who do not deserve one ounce of mercy from God
- We have all rebelled against him
But the Gospel is that Jesus came and has stood in the place of judgment that YOU AND I DESERVE
So we get to walk around now with a badge that says “REDEEMED” even though you did nothing to earn or deserve it
So if you have given your life to Jesus, you don’t have to live that way anymore!
- You are free from that!
- That’s not who you are
You can CHOOSE TO GO BACK, but that’s not you anymore!
Paul understands that these people are TOXIC
- “AVOID THESE PEOPLE”
- They are not good news
- They are not ok with their own destruction; they want you to come with them
But he doesn’t just warn of who to stay from but provides direction for Timothy and us…
2 Timothy 3
14 But as for you, continue in what you have learned and firmly believed. You know those who taught you, 15 and you know that from infancy you have known the sacred Scriptures, which are able to give you wisdom for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus. 16 All Scripture is inspired by God and is profitable for teaching, for rebuking, for correcting, for training in righteousness, 17 so that the man of God may be complete, equipped for every good work.
Paul is saying, as you live in the world, it is easy to begin to think the way the world thinks
- To value what the world values
- To believe what the world believes
But that’s not where truth and direction come from – It comes from God’s word
Paul points Timothy to the Bible (Preachers have been doing this from day one)
That is why you and I must be familiar with what the Bible says about things.
- It’s easy for us to be swayed into thinking something is ok or right or just
You may hear someone say something and the way they say it doesn’t sound too bad…
- But that doesn’t make it right
Here’s the question…
ARE YOU CONFIDENT IN YOUR KNOWLEDGE OF GOD’S TRUTH TO SPOT THE LIES?
Are you confident in your knowledge of the Bible to pick out the places where culture is Going against God?
- Does your heartbreak over what breaks his?
- Are you desensitized to things that is against God?
We are moving into a time when a loose knowledge of the Bible is dangerous
- Because you think you know what it says, but you really have no idea
The word of God is Profitable, Good for us, Good for your Future, Good for your children, and Good for our world.
Paul then changes his tone to something more personal
2 Timothy 4
1 I solemnly charge you before God and Christ Jesus, who is going to judge the living and the dead, and because of his appearing and his kingdom: 2 Preach the word; be ready in season and out of season; correct, rebuke, and encourage with great patience and teaching.
6 For I am already being poured out as a drink offering, and the time for my departure is close. 7 I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. 8 There is reserved for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will give me on that day, and not only to me, but to all those who have loved his appearing.
Paul understood the meaning of being poured out
- To give his life fully to God’s kingdom
Paul knew this:
A POURED OUT LIFE IS A FULL LIFE
Paul understood that to pour his life out was SO MUCH BETTER THAT LIVING FOR HIMSELF
What does it mean to be poured out as a Christ Follower?
- We are the gatekeepers of truth in a culture that hates it
- We are the agents of righteousness in a culture of immorality
- We are the hope dealers in a time of hopelessness
- We keep the faith when all faith seems lost
- We are people of purpose in a world that seems pointless
- We point to true north when people are lost
Therefore, brothers and sisters, in view of the mercies of God, I urge you to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God; this is your true worship. 2 Do not be conformed to this age, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, so that you may discern what is the good, pleasing, and perfect will of God.
A POURED OUT LIFE IS A FULL LIFE