The X-Factor || Forgiver
Generous - showing a readiness to give more than is strictly necessary or expected. Liberal in giving or sharing; unselfish:
A generous person (Giver) will prosper;
* ►will get richer (NCV)
* ►Enriched (HCSB)
* ►Soul made fat (KJV)
* ►Abundantly blessed (Message)
* ► How many of you want….to prosper, enriched?...
Proverbs 11:25 NIV
...whoever refreshes others will be refreshed.
For-Giver (Forgives quickly and often)
Then Peter came to Jesus and asked, “Lord, how many times shall I forgive my brother or sister who sins against me? Up to seven times?”
Jesus answered, “I tell you, not seven times, but seventy-seven times. |18.22
► Forgive - to grant pardon for or remission of an offense or debt
- stop feeling angry or resentful toward (someone) for an offense, flaw, or mistake.
- to cancel a debt
2 Things we need to forgive...
- Hurt and offense
► Being wounded is Not your choice
► Being hurt is an event, being offended is a choice
► When hurt or offended, it generates a "U owe ME"
- U owe me - an Explanation / Justification / Apology
- We want to hold on to it, not let go
If anyone had a right to hold on to a "U owe Me" card it was Joseph…
* Joseph/father brothers
* Slavery-Prison-forgotten- exalted
* He saves his family form starvation
* His dad dies, and his brothers think Joseph will punish them
► This is the heart of a For giver, he explains...
Genesis 50:19, 20 ESV
As for you, you meant evil against me, but God meant it for good, to bring it about that many people should be kept alive, as they are today.
* Most times, those around us don't hurt intentionally
* But, even if they did…BUT GOD!
* One of the most powerful statements in Scripture! “BUT GOD”
* ► How can we have such confidence, by what we know...
Romans 8:28 HCS
We know that all things work together for the good of those who love God: those who are called according to His purpose |
I can give it away! Unforgiveness will stop the favor of God...
Luke 11:25 NKJ
“...whenever you stand praying, if you have anything against anyone, forgive him…
► anything against anyone
- It's not about them, it's about you
Luke 11:26 NKJ
...that your Father in heaven may also forgive you your trespasses. But if you do not forgive, neither will your Father in heaven forgive your trespass.
- If we don't forgive, we aren't in good standing with God
- Walking in an un-Blessed place
Jesus tells a story about how God views unforgiveness... Matthew 18
* Parable of a king who was settling his books,
* Came across a man that owed him 10K bags of gold - couldn’t afford to pay
* King said he and his wife and kids to be sold as slaves to satisfy the debt!
* ► Servant fell on his knees begged the king “I will pay” king…Mt 18.26...
The servant’s master took pity on him, canceled the debt and let him go.
- Imagine how happy they were. Not only were they not going to be slaves. Debt free!
- Shortly after, he found someone who owed him 100 silver coins, know what he did…
He grabbed him and began to choke him. ‘Pay back what you owe me!’
- He said the same thing that he himself told the king, please be patient have mercy, but…
But he refused. Instead, he went off and had the man thrown into prison until he could pay the debt.
- Everyone around knew that the king had just forgiven his HUGE debt, but now not willing to forgive
- They went and told the king all that had happened, the king calls him in…and says…
‘You wicked servant,’ he said, ‘I canceled all that debt of yours because you begged me to. Shouldn’t you have had mercy on your fellow servant just as I had on you?’ 34 In anger his master handed him over to the jailers to be tortured, until he should pay back all he owed.
Jesus finishes the parable and says…
Matthew 18:35 (NIV)
This is how my heavenly Father will treat each of you unless you forgive your brother or sister from your heart.
* That’s really scary!
* This is heart issue!
This is my challenge to you today…Paul said...
“I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me...”
The dead can’t be bitter
The dead can’t be offended
- Let it go!